Feelings of anticipation, fear of the unknown and excitement all churned simultaneously within me.. I looked down, as the airplane prepared for landing. The sunshine glistened off hundreds of tiny lakes. The terrain was unlike anything I had ever seen, with unspoiled wilderness as far as the eye could see. Down, down we went to my new life in the far north. I didn't know a soul there.
My mind flashed back to two years ago, almost to the day. I had gone to Bible School to 'try it out' as I was definitely searching. The night before Bible School started, I had gone out for one more 'fling' and got stoned with friends. Kathy and I, neither of us Christians yet, both arrived on a Tuesday to CLBI. We felt out of place at first, but wanted to give it a go. That first Friday, Kathy begged me to come home to Provost with her, as she needed to bring her brother's car back to him. I balked at the idea, knowing how easy it was to go back and party there. But I was easily influenced, so I went with her. Just as I'd anticipated, Jim and Brian had called my sister, and wanted to meet us at the bar in Macklin. So there I found myself, against my better judgement and again feeling 'out of place'. Jim asked me about CLBI, and I got rather excited when I talked about it. I felt my desire for this 'old life' I had been living was fading. Not that I needed to go, but went into the bathroom and prayed my first real prayer, "I need your help Lord". It's a prayer I've since prayed many times in my life. I came back to the table, and Jim had written a message on a package of matches that read, "Wendy, you are doing the right thing, keep doing it" (sadly, Jim died an early death at 31 from alcoholism and drug addiction). My realisation that night was that I didn't want the life I'd been living, but wanted the new life I saw that others students had at Bible School. The next evening, there was a film being shown in Chauvin called "A Thief in the Night". Kathy and I went to see it. It hit me hard. I knew if Jesus were to return that night, I wasn't ready to meet Him! At the invitation, I went forward and poured out my heart to God. I sincerely repented of all the sins I could recall, and truly was born again! Never again did I have a desire for drugs or the other things I'd been involved with. I felt so free!
It was exciting to be at the Bible School, as I now had a relationship with Christ as my Savior and friend. I got involved in a number of things, including working with handicapped children, playing piano for a travelling team, evangelism and prayer. Things were pretty exciting there. One day, a cousin of mine called me to say he had a scary experience in university. He had gotten involved with some weird stuff, and experienced a demonic presence come into his room. He thought the 'monstrous thing' would kill him, and out of sheer terror, blurted out, "I believe in Jesus Christ". Immediately, the demon left! He called me, asking why this had happened and wanted help. I was a very new believer, so felt this was a little 'beyond' me! Fortunately, there were other students experienced in dealing with the demonic who were able to help him and prayed for him. The devil had some tricks he tried playing on me as well. A few weeks after my conversion, I was in a prayer meeting, and thoughts of my sinful behaviour was all I could think of. I was experiencing condemnation big time! I was afraid to tell anyone about it, because I didn't want them to know what an awful person I was. In fact, I wondered how I really could be saved when my thinking was like this. I struggled this way for a few weeks. Finally, I was helped by a message given by an elderly woman at one of our chapel times. She shared how when Satan brings condemning thoughts into our minds, that we need only confess our sin once, and after that, start praising God for the victory that Christ won for us. Even, if I couldn't push the thought away, keep praising ! I learned that the Word of God, which is the 'Sword of the Spirit' and praise are both powerful weapons against the enemy of our souls. It would be a lesson I would need to learn again and again. The evangelism teams that I served with would also prove to be extremely helpful in my time in Inuvik.
Dr Cezar Heine, also a Lutheran Pastor and his friend Marc met me at the airport. We drove the short 7 mile distance into Inuvik. It amazed me when I was told that this was the only road in the area! During the winter, people drove on the 'ice road' which was basically driving on the Mackenzie River. In the summer, that same river was used to transport most things that were needed in this isolated place. Everything else had to be flown in, which made perishable things such as milk, vegetables and fruit extremely costly. All the buildings were up on 'stilts' due to the permafrost. Even the electric and sewer lines were above the ground in 'utilidors'. The trees grew to be only about my height, and the growing season was extremely short. What made this place really different, was the fact that the length of days changed so drastically. In the summer time, the sun went around the sky in a big circle, thus the term, midnight sun. In the winter, no one sees the sun for thirty days, and there are many months of mostly cold and darkness.
It didn't take long to realise I lived amongst many needy people. One night, I heard screaming and crying in the night that woke me from a deep slumber. I pulled on my robe and tried to determine where the sound was coming from. It seemed to be above me, so I walked down the hall of my apartment, up the stairs and counted down the doors until I thought I got to the right one. I stood there with another "help me Lord" prayer, and knocked. A man came to the door, looking puzzled, as it was close to midnight. Sheepishly, I said, "I could hear a baby crying, and I just wondered if I could help somehow". He said kindly, "Well, there is no baby here, so you must have the wrong place". I walked back down the hall, feeling a little foolish. I went back to my place, but again I could hear the ruckus. Then it dawned on me that it was my next door neighbour! Marjory was about my age and had a baby, and was living with Bill Farmer, who was 52. I cringed at the thought, and boldly went next door, and banged on it. Bill came to the door, and I asked him the same question. He said, "Everything is fine here" and slammed the door in my face. "What can I do?" I thought, and went back home to bed. About 3am, Marjory ran over sobbing, clutching her baby and pounding on the door. She looked terrible, had a black eye, and blood was dripping from a fresh wound. I wrapped my arms around both of them, and struggled to contain my anger. I got a cloth, and insisted, "Marjory, we have to phone the police and report Bill" She refused, thinking he would just come and hurt her more. It was his drinking that caused him to do this and she begged me to not do it. But as the night wore on, and we talked, she finally relented, and I called the police. Marjory made a statement, and I told her she was welcome to stay at my place while I went to work. Two hours of sleep wasn't enough, but would have to do. When I returned home, I was dismayed to find that Bill had sweet talked Marjory into dropping the charges against him, and she agreed to go back. Of course he charmed her with how much he loved her, and would never do that again, that yes, he would quit drinking. Only thing was, the same scenario repeated itself again and again.
During this time, I realised how much I needed to learn God's Word, so I began reading and taping it on my cassette recorder, so that I could listen again and again while I did housework. It has been something that I have valued over the years, and it is such a great way for me to learn and memorise. I remember seeing 100 Huntley Street for the first time in Inuvik, and I cried. With so many needy people, how wonderful to think that they could be reached in their own homes by watching TV! It was an exciting broadcast, and so positive.

No comments:
Post a Comment