Eighteen years ago today, I was given another chance at life. For this I will be forever thankful!
My chances were slim to almost none. There was only one hospital in Canada that would even consider doing a transplant under these circumstances, and there was no room at the University of Alberta Hospital in the liver transplant department. When the Liver specialist in Saskatoon determined that my only chance to live was to send me, he did. As someone in intensive care, they had to accept me. The first loophole was met.
In Edmonton, each of my family was interviewed one at a time, and the experts determined that I had been a good Mom, deserving of another chance. Another giant step; I was put on the list at #1 in Canada in need of a liver. My husband was given the facts; I had at most two days to live. Furthermore, even if I received a healthy liver in time, I was given only a 50% chance of survival.
But there were people praying, thousands of them. The word spread like wildfire through churches, through the Capenwray Bible School our daughter had attended in England, through the ministry my friend Mary worked for. Our home church was even praying 24 hours a day for me! Dear friends were taking turns throughout the days and nights to make sure I was always covered in prayer.
After just 4 hours of being on the list for a liver, a perfect liver was found in Quebec. What a miracle!
There was so much rejoicing for this answer to prayer. I will forever be grateful to the person and her family who made this liver available for transplant. It has been such a good match, that I have experienced no rejection in these 18 years. This day is a day of celebration and thanksgiving.
Two things to highlight. A priceless gift to give is our organs when we die. It is wonderful to think that when we die, our organs could allow many others to continue to live. What a precious blessing.
Another thing I want to draw attention to is mental illness. I almost died because I was experiencing an extreme low time and hadn’t been diagnosed yet with bipolar disorder. Furthermore, I was on the wrong medication, which made things much worse. Don’t be afraid to go for help. Get involved in a support group. I plan to begin one soon in Wainwright. Please call or text me if you are interested in being a part of our group. There is no cost involved. We welcome anyone who is suffering with a mental illness. My number is 780-887-5647.
No comments:
Post a Comment